ICIQ Summer Fellowship Program – 2023
ICIQ Summer Fellowship Program offers up to 14 fellowships to national and international undergraduate students to give them the opportunity to learn, work and live in an exciting environment of cutting-edge research in chemistry. Students are welcome to spend a two-month paid internship in one of ICIQ’s research groups during the months of July and August.
These fellowships will be co-financed by “la Caixa” Foundation and ICIQ with the support of the “Severo Ochoa” Centres of Excellence Program 2019 (MCIN/AEI/10.13039/501100011033, CEX2019-000925-S, 2020-2023).
The undergraduates, mentored and supervised by a PhD student or a postdoctoral researcher, will carry out research projects with scientists at the forefront of their fields in addition to receiving training. During their stay, students will have access to ICIQ seminars and conferences. By the end of their internship, Summer Fellows will be required to present a short report and presentation of the work and results obtained.
This is a great opportunity for undergraduates to have an insight on the Institute research activities and to conduct research in an international scientific environment. Moreover, summer fellows are in an optimal situation to carry out Master studies at ICIQ and then apply for a future PhD position in our institute.
Deadline for applications: April 16th, 2023
- The ICIQ Summer Fellowships programme is addressed to undergraduate students with a background in Chemistry, Physics, Chemical Engineering, Biochemistry, Pharmacy, Applied Math, Data Science, Biology or other related areas. Applicants with different studies from the above mentioned will not be considered.
- Interested candidates should be preferably in their 3rd and/or last year (or having accomplished 50% of the credits) of their undergraduate studies by the time of accepting the fellowship. Graduate students won’t be eligible for this call.
*Important note: Please take into account that depending on your nationality, you might be required to get a student visa. Therefore, if you are awarded with one of our summer fellowships, please make sure you will have your visa ready before the beginning of the programme on the first week of July.
- The research stays at ICIQ will start on July 3rd. ICIQ Summer Fellows will receive a total stipend of 2,000€ for the period of 2 months, from 1st July to 31st August 2023. If a fellows’ stay is less than 2 months, the student will receive an amount proportional to their time spent at ICIQ.
- ICIQ will provide medical insurance in the event of accident or illness during the internship.
Research groups and their projects
- SF 2023-01 Prof. Pau Ballester: Supramolecular sensing of molecules relevant to human health: synthesis and optical sensing studies.
- SF 2023-02 Prof. Carles Bo: Molecular simulations of catalytic reaction networks.
- SF 2023-03 Prof. Antonio M. Echavarren: Gold-catalysis for the synthesis of biologically active natural products.
- SF 2023-04 Prof. JR Galán-Mascarós: Water splitting with earth abundant metals:towards low cost green hydrogen.
- SF 2023-05 Prof. Arjan Kleij: Catalysis as a cornerstone for circular biopolymer development.
- SF 2023-06 Prof. Antoni Llobet: Molecular redox catalysts for solar fuels applications.
- SF 2023-07 Prof. Julio Lloret-Fillol: Novel Methods for C(sp3)-C(sp2) Bond Formation via Photoredox Catalysis.
- SF 2023-08 Prof. Núria López: Machine learning for materials to produce solar fuels.
- SF 2023-09 Prof. Feliu Maseras: Computational study on the mechanism for photogeneration of radicals.
- SF 2023-10 Prof. Ruben Martin: Site-selective catalytic functionalization of saturated hydrocarbons.
- SF 2023-11 Prof. Emilio Palomares: Materials for Energy.
- SF 2023-12 Prof. Mónica Pérez-Temprano: Development of sustainable C-Hfunctionalization reactions catalyzed by first-row metals.
- SF 2023-13 Prof. Marcos García Suero: Late-stage skeletal editing by photocatalytic carbyne transfer to impact drug design.
- SF 2023-14 Dr. Katherine Villa: Development of nanostructured photocatalysts for energy applications.
Interested candidates will be required to complete the application form and submit the following documents:
- Letter of motivation: Please express your interest in joining ICIQ this Summer. Please indicate also your availability of dates to start and finish your Summer stage at ICIQ.
- Academic record: transcript of records since the beginning of Bachelor, showing the programme, the university, the dates, the credits in each course, grades (and corresponding scale), and average if available. For academic records not issued in Catalan, Spanish or English, a certified translation in one of the above-mentioned languages should be provided,
- Only applications received online via ICIQ’s Career Portal will be considered https://careers.iciq.org/.
Please complete the application form and submit the documents required as an attachment.
NOTE: Although applicants can select up to two ICIQ research groups, the first option will be always prioritized for the selection process.
Selection and Evaluation process
Applications will be reviewed and evaluated by an internal committee. By mid-May 2023, we will contact all candidates to let them know whether they have been awarded with one of ICIQ’s Summer fellowships. After acceptance by all successful candidates, a final list of the awardees will be available in ICIQ’s website by the end of May. In order to be admitted as a Summer Fellow, candidates must start at ICIQ during the first week of July 2023, preferably by July 3rd.